Last year I was invited by Christopher Rownes to contribute to The Floating Fly, a collection of thoughts on dry fly fishing from an amazing and venerable group of dry fly anglers from across the globe. An absolute privilege to be asked to contribute, however, I have a lifetime of work ahead of me to get anywhere near the level of knowledge held by the other contributors.
The Floating Fly, simply put, is a study formed from 11 questions:
- Choice of equipment Rods, reels, fly lines, fly floatants, clothes, glasses, and other useful items.
- Leader material, build-up, length and knots.
- Approach and stealth.
- Reading the water.
- Casting ability which casts are essential.
- Entomology, what should we know.
- Rise forms Can they tell us something?
- Fly selection, Size, shape, materials, which flies are essential.
- Presentation and drifts.
- Upstream or downstream?
- Fighting fish
As an out and out dry fly and trout addict, working on this contribution was an absolute joy, and I hope you enjoy both my article and the wealth of knowledge on this website.
Visit The Floating Fly via www.thefloatingfly.com.